I take absolutely no credit for this chicken filo pie recipe and will own up immediately that it belongs to my mother-in-law. She is a fantastic cook and every time we visit my husband’s family, who live in France, we end up overweight but very, very happy.
This is one of my favourite recipes for dinner parties because it is so easy and perfect for feeding lots of people. The filling is lovely and moist (down to the lashings of boursin cheese..) surrounded with crispy, crunchy filo pastry. Only make this pie if you love garlic!
This pie can be served with salad, or with vegetables; another of my favourites from France is blanched green beans with persillade. Persillade is a mixture of parsley chopped with garlic and olive oil. You can buy it in little jars at the market in France, but it is super easy to make too. Again, only if you like lots of garlic!
I made this chicken filo pie to take to my friend's 30th birthday where it fed 7 people as one of many other items of food, so I think this recipe would feed 4 for a big dinner or 6 for a lighter meal.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 45 minutes
1. Pre heat oven to 170 degrees.
2. Soften the onion and garlic for a few minutes in the olive oil and a small amount of the butter.
3. Slice the chicken to the size you want (strips/chunks) and add to the onion and garlic. Cook the chicken through until it is just done, otherwise it will be tough after it's been in the oven later.
4. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the cooked chicken, onion and garlic mixture and boursin. Mix together.
5. Melt the remaining butter in a pan/microwave. Layer the pastry in a buttered dish/pan, brushing with butter in between each one as you add. Make sure you drape enough pastry over the sides of the dish to fold over the top at the end. Keep 3-4 sheets back. Spread the filling evenly in the dish.
6. Fold up all the edges like a parcel, finally adding the last few sheets (with butter in between and on top).
7. Place in the oven for about 40 minutes. You may need to put foil on top after 20-30 minutes, because the top will brown quite quickly. When it is cooked it should rise slightly in the middle.