A really quick, easy recipe that adds a delicious crunch to soup. Croutons are also good as a snack…so make extra! I love the garlicky flavour but you can make them without garlic too if you prefer. This is a much healthier way of making croutons than frying them in a pan.
Use a loaf of good white bread to make the croutons rather than the packaged sliced stuff. It doesn’t matter if the bread is slightly stale, this is a great way to use up that 2 day old bread sitting around in your kitchen. I have used 4 thick slices of bread for this recipe, but you can make as much as you like, just increase the quantities of all the ingredients as required.
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees centegrade
2. Cut 4 slices of the bread. The thickness depends on how large you would like your croutons. About 1 inch is probably about right.
3. Cut the crusts off the bread and cut into cubes.
4. Peel the garlic cloves and crush them using a pestle and mortar. Pour in the olive oil and oregano and grind into a paste. Add a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Transfer the oil into a bowl and throw in the cubes of bread. Using your hands, cover the bread in the oil and garlic mixture.
6. Place the cubes of bread on a baking tray and place in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden and crunchy all the way through.
7. Leave to cool. Sprinkle over some more salt and pepper if they need it.
Serve with soup, or by themselves as a snack...