This tuna salad takes minutes to prepare and even less time to cook. This version is fresh and healthy, full of flavour and pretty filling.
This isn't exactly a true tuna nicoise...the fact that I didn't use any eggs doesn't really help my case! I made this when I was on the 5:2 fasting diet, so I was trying to keep the calories down as much as possible. I counted it out to be around 250-300 calories. Feel free to add some sliced hard boiled eggs at the end if you like.
Tuna is a great fish because it is so meaty and you can cook it to your liking; really rare or cooked through. I would suggest trying it rare or medium rare first, the texture is so much better.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 5 minutes
- Put the lettuce, onion, olives, anchovies , beans and cherry tomatoes in a bowl together.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing
- Drizzle some olive oil on the tuna steaks. Season with salt and pepper and rub it gently with the oil all over the fish.
- Heat a griddle pan to a high heat. When it is really hot, lay the tuna steaks in the pan. Cook for about 1.5 – 2 minutes on each side, depending on how pink you want it to be in the middle. 1.5 minutes will give you medium rare, depending on the thickness of the steaks.
- Take the steaks from the pan and put on the side to rest for a minute or so. Cut into 1 inch slices.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix it all up. If you want, keep a little bit to drizzle over the tuna later. Divide between two bowls. Lay the sliced potatoes around the sides. Put the tuna in the middle on top of the salad.
- Sprinkle the basil leaves over the top, a drizzle of leftover dressing and some freshly ground black pepper. Add the slices of egg if you are using them.