Crumbly pastry full of melted cheese, oregano and chorizo to create pasties packed with pizza flavours. Delicious as a snack or serve with a salad for lunch.
I tried this out at the weekend to use up some leftover shortcrust pastry from a quiche that I had just made. Use homemade shortcrust or shop bought pastry, either is fine.
It’s not one of the healthier recipes, but it is so easy to make and takes minutes to prepare. I used chorizo because I happened to have some, but you can use whatever filling you want for the pasties; ham, onion, peppers, anchovies.. basically whatever you like on a pizza.
This recipe makes 2 medium sized pasties.
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
1. Pre heat oven to 170 degrees centigrade
2. Roll out your shortcrust pastry on a lightly floured surface so it is quite thin (2-3mm)
3. Using a round object e.g. a medium sized bowl, cut out 2 circles of pastry
4. Spread one half of each of the pastry rounds with the tomato puree. Leave about a one inch gap between the puree and the edge of the pastry.
5. Chop up the chorizo into small cubes, depending on your preference but around 1cm square is fine. Sprinkle the chorizo on top of the tomato puree.
6. Grate the cheese and pile on top of the chorizo. Sprinkle the top of the cheese with the oregano.
7. Brush egg on the 1 inch gap between the filling and pastry. Fold the pastry over the filling. Push down all the way along the edge of the pasty to make sure it is sealed. You can make it look pretty by pressing a fork all the way along the edge of the pastry. Do the same with both pasties.
8. Brush the top of the pasties with egg.
8. Place the pasties on a lightly greased baking tray and place in the oven for around 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
9. Leave to cool for a few minutes before eating.